Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Holy Eparchial Synod
New York, NY
June 15, 2023
Communiqué of the Holy Eparchial Synod
His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros of America presided over a special meeting of the Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America which was convened through videoconference for the purpose of considering current matters affecting the life of the Church in America.
At the outset, the Archbishop invited the synodal hierarchs to present their viewpoints and discuss the revision of the Charter of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, in light of the recent official statement issued by the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate on April 5, 2023.
The Archbishop announced to the members of the Holy Eparchial Synod that a webpage dedicated to the Charter will soon be uploaded to the website of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. This webpage will present information on the history of the Charter and include a section specifically geared towards addressing questions that have been raised by the faithful, as well as providing the opportunity for the faithful to make additional inquiries.
Moreover, the Archbishop advised that he will be personally conducting meetings with the clergy of each Metropolis in the coming weeks. These meetings will aim to directly engage with the clergy of the Archdiocese, affording them the opportunity to be directly apprised on all matters related to the revision of the Charter by the Archbishop himself, as their spiritual father. Through this process, members of the clergy will be able to seek clarifications.
The Eparchial Synod then continued to carry on its meeting as follows:
- A notice of the list of clergy eligible for election to the Office of Metropolitan or Auxiliary Bishop, as approved by the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate was received and which is further attached herewith.
- The Archbishop informed the Synod of the incardination of the V. Rev. Archimandrite Fr. Theophan Koja and Rev. Deacon Spyridon Green who will support the Albanian Diocese.
- An update was provided concerning the developments at Hellenic College Holy Cross School of Theology following the recent resignation of President Mr. George Cantonis and the process set out by the Search Committee tasked with finding a new President.
- The Synod was updated by the outgoing Dean of the Holy Cross School of Theology, Rev. Fr. George Parsenios, on the filling of the positions for Director of the Huffington Ecumenical Institute and permanent Professor in the field of Systematic Theology.
- Pursuant to the meeting agenda, the Synod considered current correspondence.
From the Chief Secretariat